top of page

Electrical Safety Checks (EICR)

Electrical Safety Checks are commonly referred to as Electrical Installation Condition Report - EICR or Periodic Inspection Report - PIR for your Campervan, Motorhome or Caravan

In addition to your annual habitation check it is now being

recommended by The NCC and AWS that every 3 years your

motorhome has a EICR. It is at the owners discretion to have

this done or not.

What is an EICR?

A EICR is in an depth report on your motorhome habitation electrical system. Every joint, connection, socket, cable insulation and plug is checked both electronically with high voltage and manually. This means every connection is checked and tightened as well as inspected for any possible damage or past or potential issues.

Why Do We Need A EICR?

SAFETY! It gives great peace of mind knowing your motorhome is safe and working correctly. You may have only just purchased your leisure vehicle & want to ensure everything is safe or with the use of leisure vehicles and movement of the wiring, appliances etc wires can become loose or damaged over time! Our EICR will thoroughly check all aspects of your 240v electrical system from the hookup cable right through to the furthest socket in your leisure vehicle!

Some campsites and insurance companies are now asking for this report to ensure safety among leisure vehicles and the sites. Insurance companies may ask to see the report if you claim for fire damage etc. Insurance companies may even be offering discounts in some instances.

What is involved and What checks are carried out?


We would start with visual checks and whilst doing these we are looking for: Damage, evidence of any overload, external influence, suitability, and effectiveness. So this will include things like: The general appearance of the installation both LV and ELV (LV = Low Voltage, i.e. 230 volts. ELV = Extra Low Voltage i.e. 12 volts) we would check at the battery box to ensure terminals and terminations are correct and sound, that the battery box is sealed where applicable from the living area.

12 volt fuses and fuse boards will be examined for any heat damage and that the fuses are correctly rated, light fitting and switches will be checked for function and any damage, Is the consumer unit secured and RCD and MCBs of the correct type and ratings.

Cable and cable runs where visible will be checked for any damage, separation of LV and ELV where practicable (Difficult to achieve in caravans & motorhomes) and that cables are correctly secured. 230 volt cable sizes will also be recorded.

Socket fronts ideally need to be removed for inspection. (Some caravans have decorative plugs over the screws which could be damaged doing this, customers would be informed of this and if you did not wish them to be removed, this can be agreed with your self and record this as a limitation) This is just a few of the kind of visual checks that are performed along with a cursory test of the 230 volt sockets with a plug-top polarity tester.

What actual tests are done?


One of the first tests done is the “continuity of protective conductors”. (R2) This test’s the continuity of the “CPC” (Circuit Protective Conductor) or Earth. This test is done using not less than 200 mA, so requires specialist test equipment, checking the CPC of each circuit, from main inlet to each appliance and each socket outlet.

The results from these tests will be recorded separately in the schedule of tests under the R2 column. Any reading over 1Ω would require further investigation. At this point we would also be checking the “Main Protective Bonding” to the chassis and to gas pipes, both visually and with test instruments, any readings over 0.5Ω would require further investigations.

Polarity test - We would also perform this very same test as R2, on R1, the line or live wire and Rn, the neutral wire, while doing R1 we can confirm the functionality of any isolation or switch gear involved within the circuit or sockets, again this is done to all circuits. This will confirm polarity, polarity is really a bit of a misnomer on AC circuits as there is no negative or positive, AC is changing direction all the time, so what we really mean by this is that the neutrals and line wires are connected to the correct terminals. Another test is the “Insulation resistance test” or IR Test the results from this test can vary depending on test conditions, such as humidity, we would expect a result ideally of >500mΩ and should not be less than 200mΩ, below this would require further investigations.

Further checks are done on the hook-up cable for damage and that it is 2.5mm2. Hook-up cables are out in all weathers and subjected to all kinds of abuse, from being screwed up in knots when being packed away in a rush to being driven over by cars and mowers. These need to be in the best condition as it is the main electrical feed in to your caravaon/motorhome where they can come into contact with people or animals.

On the vehicle its self, most times we will do this test from the 16amp inlet to each circuit and record the results on the report, any reading below 200mΩ would require further investigation, because this test is done at 500 volts we will need to disconnect any sensitive equipment, all current using equipment disconnected or unplugged and the appropriate circuit breakers and switches switched on. This test will be done between line and earth, then neutral and earth, and finally line and neutral On specific occasions we may need to change this to between earth and the line and neutral combined.

Finally test wise is the Functional test of the residual current device RCD. This involves a simple functional test of the test button which should also be done by the owner on a regular basis. Then using an RCD tester we check the speed of device measured in milliseconds.

Once all the tests have been carried out you will be issued with an EICR report indicating any if any remedial works to be carried out.

This would be a good opportunity to mention that if we are ever tasked to carry out any additional electrical work such as extra 230 volt sockets we would issue a Minor works certificate to accompany our work.

Get in touch for a price & to book your EICR check


Touring Caravan & Motorhome EICR testing
bottom of page